The number one request we get from advertisers who are looking for ways to display their ads is for great video content they know they’ll find on AdThrive sites!
Original video content provides extra value to your readers, keeps them on the page longer, and can also be another wonderful source of ad income for your site. If you include monetized videos in your posts, readers who view the post and watch the video can be up to TWICE as valuable as readers who simply read the post.
Bottom line: videos are the future of digital advertising, and sites that make high quality videos today will be best prepared for where advertising is headed long-term.
If you currently run videos on your site, make sure they’re monetized with your custom AdThrive video player
Your own customized, branded AdThrive video player can replace existing YouTube videos on your site, and pays many times over what you’d make from YouTube views. Have we set up your AdThrive video player for you yet?
We love helping you earn more money from your incredible video content on your site! It’s super easy to do: you can now upload video directly through your Adthrive dashboard, we provide super fast (and free) video hosting, and we set up video players for your site that are branded with your logo and colors and play ads before and during the content! If you don't see the video upload tool in your dashboard, email email@example.com and we'll get it set up for you!
New video upload feature in the AdThrive dashboard
Upload videos and get the embed code for the video player right away!
You can embed video players in posts and we also have video players that run playlists in the sidebar of your site - the more views, the better.
In the sidebar
We have two different options for your sidebar video player. Both autoplay and scroll through a playlist of your videos interspersed with ads, and are silent by default. On mobile, the sidebar player option moves into the middle of posts.
- Stationary sidebar player: You can see an example of a stationary sidebar video player here.
- Collapsible sticky video player: This player starts inside the content on your site, and then as the reader scrolls past, it begins autoplaying a playlist of your videos and moves to the sidebar to scroll with the reader. It pays more because it’s highly viewable! You can see an example of this here.
Embed videos in your post content using a single piece of code. The in-post player functions like an embedded YouTube video player, but maximizes your earning potential with advertisers and makes you a LOT more money!
- Single videos: Upload videos in your AdThrive dashboard and grab an embed code to place the video in any post/page you like.
- Video playlists: The AdThrive video team can help you create playlists based on the tags you assign to your videos. You can embed these playlists inside posts and pages, just like single videos. Playlists can be helpful to run on posts that don’t have a specific video!
Place the video embed code in a highly-viewable location where your readers are most likely to engage with it. We recommend the middle of a post, or near a recipe or tutorial, or wherever readers are likely to spend the most time on the page.
Just like display ads, video players will earn differently from site to site. Typically, one of the autoplay players bring in the most overall revenue because it autoplays with every pageview, but an embedded video player earns the most money per view because it’s a larger player that readers click on, so advertisers know they have their attention and will pay more money for it.
A visitor who clicks to watch a video in your post earns you 1.5-2x as much as a visitor who only reads the post. It pays to use video in every post possible and we recommend using both types of players on your site for maximum ad revenue and reader engagement!
If you are already using the AdThrive video player, here’s a handy checklist for you:
- Make sure you have one of the autoplay sidebar players on your site
- Make sure you’ve embedded your individual AdThrive video codes inside relevant posts and swapped out any YouTube or Vimeo players
Don’t see the video upload option in your dashboard, or aren’t currently using an AdThrive video player? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can set that up for you!
This is the message you’ll see in your AdThrive dashboard if you don’t have a video player set up
Where to see video player earnings:
There are several places where you can view different video earnings reports in your AdThrive dashboard.
View total monthly video earnings on the View All Ad Network Earnings+ page in your dashboard.
View a snapshot of total video earnings for the last 30 days in your main 'My Dashboard' tab.
View earnings for your click to play videos in the 'Earnings' tab of your dashboard for the time-frame you select at the top of the page.
Create (or begin brainstorming) ONE New High-Impact Video
Today, we’re sharing several ways for you to add video to as many pages as possible either using the content you already have or brainstorming new ways to approach video creation.
Remember: videos in the post that get clicked to play earn the most money per view, so your goal is to embed relevant videos your readers will be eager to watch.
Follow one of these tips to make a high-impact video:
- Create pillar video content that can be used in multiple posts.
You can embed one video in as many URLs as you want!
- Basic technique: Is there a basic technique that you can demonstrate and share inside related posts? For example, a “cupcake icing tips” video you could add to all your cupcake recipes, or an “easy painting tips” video you can make for all your DIY posts that mention painting.
- Pillar/evergreen topic: Is there a topic you revisit again and again that can you thoroughly cover in one video and share every time you address the subject?
- Questions: Is there a common question that a visual demonstration could answer?
Make your video apply to as many posts on a single subject as possible!
- Make a video for one of your most popular pages.
You can identify your 10 most popular pages using your AdThrive dashboard in the Traffic tab. Browse through and create a new video specifically for one of your top evergreen posts that’ll instantly get you more bang for your buck!
- Repurpose old footage to highlight complex steps.
Look through general footage you’ve created and think through any areas that might be complicated for readers to understand. Maybe there is a method to how you sew a certain stitch or julienne potatoes a clever way — separate out that footage and highlight it separately in the content to further explain and generate more engagement.
- Try out a playlist.
Already have quite a few videos monetized with AdThrive? We can create a playlist for you using any category you want! When you tag your videos in your AdThrive dashboard, that helps us pull your videos with the same tags into a playlist. For example, if you have a lot of awesome dessert recipes, you can tag them all as “dessert” and we can set up a playlist of all your dessert-themed videos that you can add to any relevant dessert posts.
As you build your video library, playlists give you a lot of different options for including videos on your posts. Even if a post doesn't have an accompanying video, you can still include a playlist of related videos and embed it in that post.
This is a great way to keep your readers on your site, consuming more of your content, and max out your income.
Email email@example.com so our team can help you set up video playlists!
Our Best Tips & Tools for Video Creation:
Ready to jump into creating awesome video content for your site? Here’s what you need to know:
- Create videos that are 30 seconds or longer: Our ad partners have premium campaigns available for videos with 30 seconds or more of active content. (For example: logo images don’t count as active content.)
- Upload videos that readers can view on most connections: A general rule of thumb is to keep your files under 50mb per minute, with a maximum file size of 800mb. This ensures that your readers can watch your videos wherever they are, on any device. We recommend a resolution of 720p.
- Use .mp4, .mov or .webm video files.
To help you create videos that are the target file-size and formatting, we recommend these tools for video editing:
- Mac: iMovie is a fantastic, free tool with built-in compression options when you click “Share.”
- PC: After you’ve created your video in the program of your choice, you can use Handbrake (https://handbrake.fr/) and this tutorial (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rse6dsx5D8) if you need to export to a different file format or further compress the video.
What about my YouTube account?
Monetizing the videos on your site with our premium campaigns doesn’t mean you have to abandon your YouTube subscribers! Many publishers post videos to YouTube (to build their YouTube subscriber list and drive traffic to their own site) AND post the same videos on their site through their AdThrive Custom Video Player. That way you get the best of both worlds: the higher-paying premium ads on your site, plus the traffic benefits of YouTube.
If your goal is to grow your YouTube subscribers, you can do both at once: max out the income on the videos you play on your own URL, and continue using YouTube to drive traffic to your site.