Updating, redesigning and changing your site can be really scary, especially if you find that you aren’t the most technically-inclined person. We’re here to tell you that a little change is a-okay; a little change can do a world of good!
The good news is that when it comes to your ads, we’ve got you covered.
When redesigning your site, here are some recommendations we suggest running by your designer/developer to make sure you get the most out of your fresh-faced blog:
For the optimal ad experience:
- Header: The best paying header ad location is located below the header (logo) and menu - and is at least 970 px. wide. Sometimes drop-down menus can interfere with this area, so for the best ad experience we recommend not having drop-down menus in this area.
- Sidebar: The best paying sidebar setup is a sidebar that is at least 336 px. wide, and has a minimal number of widgets so that the bottom sticky sidebar ad is highly visible. (The sticky sidebar ad pays more the faster and longer it is on the screen.) We recommend using 1-2 regular sidebar ads + our sticky sidebar ad.
- In-content: On desktop, we recommend running 2-3 ads in post content. These ads have become some of the most valuable placements on a site because of the importance that advertisers place on viewability (how much they are seen). We'd have them spaced out really well, so there will never be more than one ad inside the post content on the screen at a time. Because of this, longer posts will pay more than shorter posts.
- Recipe Ad: If you have recipes on your site, we recommend using a recipe plugin so that we can inject an ad into the recipe box for you. Running an ad inside the recipe box can really improve your viewability score with advertisers since readers spend so much time viewing the recipe while they cook.
- Sticky Footer Ad: Our highest paying ad is currently the sticky footer ad on desktop. This is a super high paying ad that sticks to the bottom of the screen as your readers scroll, and has an “x” so readers can click off of it. This ad also goes a long way in increasing your site's viewability score (which is based on how well the ads are seen) and opens you up to even higher-paying ads in some of your other ad spaces.
- Mobile: For the optimal mobile experience, make sure your site is responsive and isn't running extra plugins that slow your site down. We can add our mobile-optimized ads inside your own custom theme. The highest-paying mobile ad by far is our mobile sticky footer ad that sticks to the bottom of the mobile page.
- Custom Video Player: If you have videos on your site, we recommend running our custom video player that monetizes your awesome video content. We'd set you up with your own personally branded player for your site. These would be like YouTube players, but they'd pay WAY more. We would embed a player in your sidebar that would loop through your videos, and then we'd provide you with individual embed codes so that you could place your videos in your posts.
For a slightly lower-paying ad setup:
- Header: For a lesser-paying header option, we can run your header ad above your logo - or in a header ad widget that is at least 728 px. wide.
- Sidebar: To access most of our best-paying campaigns, you must have a sidebar that is at minimum 300 px. wide.
Once you (or your designer) are totally finished installing your beautiful new site:
- Email us and we’ll install your ads and make recommendations for new placements
- Double-check your Wordpress login on your shared spreadsheet with AdThrive
- Double-check your Google Analytics tracking code to make sure it is correctly tracking pageviews on your new site.
So simple! That’s it!
There is something incredibly wonderful about a fresh start, and we can’t wait to help make yours a success!